Top 10 reasons to study in U.K

1. UK is a cosmopolitan place to live. Many thousands of families from around the world have made UK their home, creating a richly diverse, open-minded, multicultural society.
2. UK universities/ colleges are ranked one of the best for its teaching quality. UK qualifications are recognised and respected throughout the world. UK Universities, Colleges and Schools provide a vibrant, creative and challenging environment in which to develop your potential. Quality standards for UK institutions are among the best in the world.
3. Employers want employees who can think effectively, creatively and for themselves. This is an essential part of the UK learning experience.
4. All the international students are offered guaranteed accommodation.
5. Most of the UK Bachelor`s courses take only three years and Master`s courses take only one year as compared to four years of Bachelor`s and two years of Master`s courses in most of the other countries. This means a student can save a great deal on both tuition fees and living costs. UK degree courses are shorter because they are more intensive, and therefore more efficient in terms of time and money.
6. UK offers good teacher/student ratios.
7. UK has been welcoming international students for generations. Many institutions arrange for students to be collected from the airport and offer guaranteed accommodation for first year. UK has one of the lowest `drop-out` rates in the world.
8. Sandwich courses are also available which allows students to gain experience in their respective fields.
9. Students are permitted to work upto 20 hours a week during term time and full time during holidays.
10. UK has an established tradition of research and innovation.

UK Education System:

The UK has been welcoming international students for generations. We have long experience of looking after your needs, and will give you special support from the moment you apply and throughout your time in the UK . Education in Britain is broadly divided into three categories: primary (five to 11 years), secondary (11 to 18 years), and tertiary (higher education). Education can also be divided into state-funded and privately funded (independent) sectors. Independent schools charge fees and are said to be ‘independent’ of state control. The majority of schools is state-funded and free. Some are selective and have such good reputations that competition for entrance is fierce. The UK is made up of three different countries and a province: England , Scotland , Wales and the province of Northern Ireland . The UK has two distinct systems of courses and qualifications: one for England , Wales and Northern Ireland , and one for Scotland . Each is compatible with the other. The Scottish Parliament has devolved responsibility for education in Scotland. It may take some time for you to adjust to studying in the UK . Academic culture and expectations vary according to the subject, the level of study and the type of institution. However, there are some general trends that you may notice in the UK :

*Students often work independently, studying on their own for significant periods of time.
*Students are expected to develop critical judgment, which means an ability to assess whether an argument is coherent and well supported by evidence.
* Learning large amounts of factual data is important in some subject areas, but in many cases a critical approach is considered more important.
Many UK students will also be going through the process of learning the conventions of academic life. Study skills classes may help you understand what is required. Your tutors should also be able to guide you as to how to approach your work.

Details about various Qualifications offered by UK Colleges and Universities

First Degree Courses in Arts and Sciences (Bachelor’s degree) are normally of three or four years’ duration and are largely taught courses, sometimes including the preparation of a short written thesis.

Sandwich Courses are where the coursework is accompanied by practical work. A student could either complete 2 years of college, then a year of commercial training before returning for a final year in college. Or, he/she could do a 4-year course with 3-6 months’ training interspersed each year. The main advantage is that the student gets real experience while in the learning mode. Most universities offer this type of education.

Higher National Diploma (HND) is awarded by Vocational and Technical Educational Councils. They offer a 2-year course in a vocational subject like scientific and technical business subjects. Great emphasis is placed on work experience. It is often seen as the first step towards a degree course as the credits can be transferred.

Vocational Courses offer an opportunity to enter the university system slowly. Business and Technology Education Council (BTEC), General Vocational Qualifications (GNVQ), General Scottish Vocational Qualifications (GSVQ) offer recognized courses in a range of disciplines. Most students opt to take 1-2 years of, for example, BTEC courses before being transferred to a degree programme. BTEC national certificates/diplomas are usually accepted as an alternative to A-Levels.

Postgraduate study may take the form of an independent piece of research under supervision or a taught course, and leads to a variety of degrees and awards. The taught courses normally last for one or sometimes two years. Completion of a doctorate normally takes a minimum of three years. Many post-experience courses are also available, either leading to a qualification or providing a refresher course for graduates wishing to update or extend their knowledge. Occasional students are admitted by some institutions in limited numbers. They attend courses or undertake research, possibly for a period of one or two years. These courses do not lead to any formal qualification or ‘credit’ although certificate of satisfactory attendance may be given.

Universities There are over 100 British Universities, some of them over 500 years old such as Oxford , Cambridge , St Andrews , Glasgow , Edinburgh and Aberdeen and others very new being given the University title in the 1990s. The new universities tended to be called Polytechnics or Institutes of Higher Education and can often trace their history for many years, sometimes centuries. These new universities usually have a greater focus on more vocational and practical courses such as business, architecture, engineering, applied sciences etc and do not normally offer subjects such as medicine, dentistry, divinity, arts and social sciences etc.

Colleges There are many Colleges in the UK which also offer courses leading to certificate or diploma level as well as general interest subjects such as cooking, foreign languages or short practical courses in plumbing, car mechanics or electronics. These Colleges are also aimed at students, both British and International, who do not perhaps have the grades or the right qualifications to enter directly to a degree course or who wish to study for a shorter period after completing their school qualifications.

Entry Requirements :

Rules for persons seeking to enter or remain in the United Kingdom as a student: Unless he or she is a national of the European Economic Area (EEA*), the requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a student are that he or she:

* has been accepted for a course of study at uk
* a publicly funded institution of further or higher education; or.
* a bona fide private education institution which maintains satisfactory records of enrolment and attendance


To gain entry to an undergraduate degree course you have to have completed your 12th standard. Different degree courses require different subjects and levels of passes. Some universities may require you to complete a Foundation course before they will allow you entry to the first year of a degree course.

Post-graduate course
Application procedures vary according to the type of course you wish to study. In general, you should apply directly to the institution concerned. Applications for some courses leading to professional qualifications, eg PGCE teacher training courses, should be made through centralised admissions systems. Application deadlines for acceptance on postgraduate courses will vary according to the institution you are applying to and the course you wish to study. Make sure that you enquire about application deadlines well in advance. Most post-graduate degree courses require you to have completed a three or four year degree course with a first or good second class degree..

MBA course
Usually a degree in any discipline and three years work experience after your degree. Some Universities may require a GMAT test and a minimum age of 24 on entry.

All British Universities would look for a minimum of a four-year degree but in most cases they would prefer you to have already completed a Post-graduate degree. You will also have to prepare a research proposal outlining the area of research you would like to study to accompany your application.

English Language Test

You may be required to sit an English Language Test such as IELTS or TOEFL before the University will confirm your seat on your course. The British Council organizes the IELTS test and results take 2-3 weeks. The minimum scores usually required are 6.0 for IELTS and 550 for TOEFL.

UK Education Table

British Education At Glance
A Level 1-2 years
A Bachelor Degree 3-4 years
Master’s Degree 1-2 years
Doctoral / Research Degree 3-4 years
Admissions requirements
A Level First Div in X th
Bachelor Degree Good second div. in XII th
Master’s Degree Graduate Degree
HND Good second div. In XII th

Living Cost & Education

Average cost/year Tution fees Living Cost
Under Graduate classroom-based courses £6,750 – £7,000 £6,800 approx in London £5,400 approx around uk
Under Graduate laboratory-based courses £8,750 – £9,000 £6,800 approx in uk £5,400 approx around uk
Under Graduate clinical courses £16,250 – £16,500 £6,800 approx in uk £5,400 approx around uk
Post Graduate classroom-based courses £6,750 – £7,000 £6,800 approx in uk £5,400 approx around uk
Post Graduate laboratory-based courses £8,750 – £9,000 £6,800 approx in uk £5,400 approx around uk
Post Graduate clinical courses £16,250 – £16,500 £6,800 approx in uk £5,400 approx around uk
MBA Courses £7,250 – £16,000 £6,800 approx in uk £5,400 approx around uk

Study Costs :

Education in UK has lots of financial benefits:
Professional degrees are offered at undergraduate levels
There are many One-year Masters’ degrees including MBA
Access to National Health Centre; which is free for students registered on courses of six months or longer
Free school education for registered dependent children
Expenses (In Pound Sterling)

Courses Average Total Tuition Fees per academic year Average Living Costs per academic year Average Total Costs per year
Science 8,130 6,600 14,730
Medicine 15,660 6,600 22,660
Others 6,210 6,600 12,810
Courses Average Total Tuition Fees per academic year Average Living Costs per academic year Average Total Costs per year
Science 8,200 6,600 14,800
Medicine 15,450 6,600 22,050
Others 6,303 6,600 12,903
Futher Education

Colleges of further education provide for a wide variety of needs and offer pre-degree courses, English language courses, vocational and professional training. There are over 600 colleges spread all over UK . The average costs below include Diploma and other vocational courses.

Average Tuition Fees per academic year Average Living Costs per academic year Average Total Costs per year
3,432 6,600 10,032

UK education fees

English language courses
Fees vary greatly, but expect to pay around £100 per week for large-class tuition and £500 per week or more for intensive, small-class tuition.

Always check the cost of fees with the school or college to which you are thinking of applying.

Academic English study courses may cost £100-£200 per week; some universities offer these free.

GCSEs, A levels other equivalents

Day pupils pay £1,300-£2,700 per term and boarders pay £2,700-£6,000 per term Around £3,700 a year for Non-degree vocational and professional courses

Degree courses
Around £6,200 a year for business courses

Around £6,300 a year for arts courses

Around £7,500 a year for science courses

Remember : Most degree courses take just three years to complete, compared with four years in the USA and Australia. In Scotland, however, honours degree courses last four years – equivalent to doing an access course plus a degree course elsewhere in the UK.

Post graduate courses
Around £6,950 for business courses

Around £6,450 for arts courses

Around £7,650 for science courses

Remember : Most UK Master’s courses take just a year, compared with two years in the USA and Australia. So you save on time & cost!!

Living Costs
The cost of living in the UK is not the same throughout the country. Generally, it is more expensive to live in London and the South-East of England, and cheaper in the North, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Living costs will be higher for couples and families.

Deposit on rented accommodation : £250-£400 (one month’s rent)
Heat and light (if charged separately) : £20-£40 per month, depending on the season
Food (if not included in accommodation) : £30-£40 per week
Wine : £3 for a 75cl bottle (table wine)
Beer : £1.50 for a half-litre can of lager
Personal hygiene items, cosmetics, etc : £10-£12 per month
Haircut : £10-£20
Laundry : £16 per month
Dry cleaning : £4 for shirt or trousers; £8 for heavy coat
T-shirts, underwear : £10 and under
Shirts and tops, light sweaters, light shoes : £20 and under
Jeans and other casual trousers, skirts, lightweight outdoor jackets, heavier sweaters, heavier shoes : £ 30 and under
Raincoats and other outerwear, boots : £50 and under
Winter coats : £90 and under
Small electrical appliances (e.g. Hairdryer, kettle) : £20 and under
Textbooks : £10-£50 or more; some may be available second-hand for less
Paperback books for leisure reading : £5-£7; second-hand books as little as £1 or less
Newspapers : 20p-50p per issue
Magazines : 50p-£2.50
CDs : £12-£15
Television Licence : £101 per year per household
Phonecard (for use in public telephones) : choice of £2, £5, £10 or £20
Restaurant meal : £5 per head minimum, £12 per head average (drinks extra)
Cinema ticket : £4-£10
Theatre ticket : £10-£30
Concert ticket : £5-£30
Swimming pool use : £2.50
Tennis/ squash court : £3 per hour
UK educational institutions are world-class institutions. The excellence of their teaching, research and scholarship is acknowledged worldwide. Such is the reputation of British education that, every year, UK institutions attract hundreds of thousands of international students. Many who come to study here pay for their courses privately, and some receive financial help.

VISA Required Documents :

Immigration Rules for Students

You must intend to study at a publicly funded university or college, a bonafide private institution or a fee-paying independent school.

You must be able to and intend to follow a full time degree course, or a weekday, full time course at a single institution involving at least 15 hours of organized, daytime study per week.

You must be able to pay for your course and the living expenses of your husband or wife and children (if they are with you) without working in UK or claiming public funds.

You must not intend to work in UK unless you are accepted for a course lasting longer than six months, when you may work part-time or during vacations.

You must intend to leave UK at the end of your studies.

Documents Required For a Student Visa

A letter of acceptance on the course
This will be a letter from your institution confirming that a place has been offered to you and that the course is full-time as defined by the immigration law. The letter should state how long the course will last. Where your course is more advanced and specialized, the letter should also state what level of English is needed for the course (giving minimum test marks, if appropriate) and confirm that you satisfy this requirement.

Evidence that you can pay the course fees and support yourself and your family, if applicable.
Depending on your circumstances, this could include evidence of government sponsorship, a letter from a sponsor in UK confirming they can support you, together with evidence that they can do this, and/or your own bank statements. You should also provide a letter from your place of study stating the full cost of the course, what arrangements are acceptable for payment and whether you have already paid fees or a deposit.

Although the immigration rules do not require unaccompanied students to show that accommodation has been arranged, your place of study may have given you information about its availability, and you should bring this to the attention of the ECO. If your family is coming with you to the UK, you will need to show that there will adequate accommodation for them. If your place of study cannot confirm that family accommodation will be available, you may have to consider travelling to the UK alone and making arrangements for your family to join you when you have found somewhere to live.

The Interview
Interview is a part of your visa application process.The interview is to give you the opportunity to clarify for the ECO certain parts of your application. The ECO will be aiming to satisfy him or herself that your study plans are genuine and workable. The interview is a normal part of the process, but you may feel quite nervous before it and find it an uncomfortable experience. ECO’s are trained professionals who will try to make the process as painless as possible, but the questions are necessarily very direct and personal.

You should prepare for such an interview carefully. In particular:

Be familiar with all your study plans; why you chose the particular institution and course; how the course will help your future career;
Be clear about the cost of living and the course and your finances: do you have enough money to complete the course? Can you prove it?
Be as clear as you can about your likely future career in your country: what are you going to do on your return.


Why should I choose UK for studies?
You’ll get a world-class qualification. UK qualifications are recognised and respected throughout the world. Your UK qualification will be a solid foundation for building your future, boosting your career and prospects for a higher salary. UK universities, colleges and schools will provide a vibrant, creative and challenging environment in which to develop your potential. Quality standards for UK institutions are among the best in the world. Universities, colleges and schools continually have to prove that their courses meet strict criteria. Many other countries are now trying to follow the example of the UK.

Is UK Education is compatible with global market ?
In an increasingly globalised world economy, people need special skills and qualities to succeed. Employers want employees who can think effectively, creatively and for themselves. This is an essential part of the UK learning experience. Institutions use a variety of teaching and assessment methods to encourage independence, as well as mastery of the subject. At degree and postgraduate level in particular, students are encouraged to read widely, to question and analyse what they have read, and to discuss openly their own ideas in seminars and tutorials. Career based courses are designed to equip you for specific roles in the modern world of work.

English language skills will be important for your future career prospects. English is accepted as being the language of business, science, IT and the Internet around the whole world. Learning English in the UK allows you to immerse yourself in the language, to live and think in English.

How study cost of UK is different from other countries ?
UK degrees can take only three years and postgraduate Master’s courses only one year – compared with four years and two years in most other countries. This means you will save a great deal on both tuition fees and living costs – and you will be able to start working and earning money sooner. UK degree courses are shorter because they are more intensive, and therefore more efficient in terms of your time and money.

Health care is often free for international students. You are likely to be able to take advantage of National Health Service (NHS) treatment, as well as reduced-cost medicines, dental treatment and eye tests. Find out whether you are entitled to NHS care in the Advice section of the website. Thousands of scholarships and bursaries are offered by UK institutions just for international students, while more than twenty-one thousand international students receive scholarship funding from the UK Government every year. You can also get more information about these from the scholarships page. Thanks to changes in work regulations, international students in the UK can now work up to twenty hours a week when studying and full time during vacations.

How much cash should I bring?
You should have enough money to pay for your transport from the airport to your final destination. You may be staying with friends or family at first so will not have to think about accommodation costs. If not, then you should have at least enough money for one or two nights stay at a ‘Bed and Breakfast’ and for food during this time. If you can, bring most of this money as travellers’ cheques and take out travel insurance to cover you for your first week of stay.

What conditions must I meet to be a student in the UK?
The Immigration Rules require students who wish to study in the UK to meet certain conditions that relate to: the place where you wish to study, your course, your ability to follow the course, your finances, and your intentions during and after your studies.

Can I bring my family with me to the UK?
Yes, but only your spouse and your children. Your children must be under the age of 18 when they first enter the UK

I have not yet finalised my arrangements; can I come to the UK to attend interviews for a place on a course?
Yes, but it is very important that you request permission (‘leave’) to enter the UK as a ‘Prospective student’ (rather than as a ‘visitor’). You will be expected to provide evidence that you have made contact with institutions in the UK e.g. letters inviting you for interviews in the UK. Prospective students can stay in the UK for up to 6 months to make arrangements for their studies. Once enrolled at an institution, you will need to extend you stay in the UK as a student.

Can I work whilst I am studying in the UK?
Most students on courses of more than 6 months will be given a passport stamp or visa sticker that allows them to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations. Note however that you cannot normally rely on expected income from part time and vacation work as evidence of your financial resources when dealing with the UK immigration authorities

Can I stay in the UK to work after I have finished studying?
It may be possible for you to stay on in the UK for practical training or work experience or for full time employment. Under the ‘Training and Work Experience Scheme’, employers can apply for permits to employ a person in a particular post for a limited period for work experience or for professional training. The Government has also relaxed its policy on students staying on in the UK after studies under the main Work Permit scheme: degree level students, student nurses and postgraduate doctors and dentists in training may be able to stay in the UK for work permit employment if their employer can secure a work permit for them. It may also be possible to stay on in the UK under the ‘Innovators Scheme’. The Government has also introduced a ‘Highly Skilled Migrants Programme’. Some highly experienced and/or highy qualified students may be able to stay in the UK under this programme.

Can I get free health care for myself and my family whist I study in the UK?
Yes, if you are on a course lasting 6 months or more you can get treatment from the National Health Service (NHS) from the beginning of your stay. You will not have to pay for hospital treatment, but you may have to pay for some dental treatment and a standard charge for medicines prescribed by a doctor, depending on your income. This also applies to your spouse and children (children under 16, or under 19 and in full time education do not normally have to pay for any treatments).

How can I open my Bank account and what are the documents required for it?
There are many banks in the UK and they offer different arrangements and levels of service. You should spend some time finding the bank which offers the best service for you. Ask other international students which banks they have found most helpful. When choosing a bank, you need to consider the following:

The services the bank will offer you and what charges it will make;
What arrangements there are for transferring money from your home country, and the costs involved;
What documents are required by the bank in order to open an account. Many UK banks will ask to see your passport, a letter from the institution confirming that you are a student, and a document confirming your address in the UK (for example a contract for accommodation). The bank may also require information about your bank account in your home country;
How easy it is for you to visit or contact the bank. Your institution’s welfare officer or students’ union may be able to give you information about the services offered by the banks in the area.

USA Useful Links:

British Education :

UK Universities, Colleges and Research Sites (
Undergraduate education in the UK ( )
Postgraduate education in UK (
Further Education College sites ( )
British Accreditation Council for Independent Further and Higher Education ( )
British Council Education Information System (
Further Education Funding Council ( )

British High Commission, New Delhi

The British High Commission in New Delhi covers the States of Jammu and Kashmir , Haryana, Punjab , Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan and the new State of Uttaranchal in NORTHERN INDIA including Delhi .

Paul Baines, Consul
British High Commission
Shantipath, Chanakyapuri,
New Delhi 110021.
Tel: +91 11 26872161
(This telephone is available 24 hours a day).
Fax: +91 11 26116094.
(Not VISA Enquiries)
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 0900-1200 and 1400-1600

British Deputy High Commission, Mumbai

The British Deputy High Commission in Mumbai covers the States of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Goa in WESTERN INDIA ..

Mr Andy McFarlin, Consull
British Deputy High Commission,
Makers Chambers IV, 2nd floor,,
222 JamnalalBajaj Road,
Nariman Point, Mumbai 400021.
Tel. +91 22 56502222
Fax: +91 22 22833928 (Consular)
Fax: +91 22 22027940 (General)
Opening Hours: Monday – Friday 0830-1230 and 1400-1500

British Deputy High Commission, Kolkata

The British Deputy High Commission in Kolkata covers the States of Bihar, Orissa, West Bengal and the new States of Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand in EASTERN INDIA including those in the far NORTH-EAST. The British Deputy High Commission in Kolkata also covers BHUTAN .

Mr John Hamilton, Vice Consul
British Deputy High Commission
1, Ho Chi MinhSarani, Kolkata 700 071.
Tel: +91 33 22885172-76
Fax: +91 33 22885177
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 0900-1200 and 1400-1600

British Deputy High Commission, Chennai

The British Deputy High Commission in Chennai covers the States of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Union Territory of Pondicherry in South India.

Ms Julia Campbell, Vice Consul
British Deputy High Commission
20 Anderson Road ,
Chennai 600 006.
Tel. +91 44 52192151
Fax: +91 44 52192322/28203790
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 0830-1300 and 1330-1600

Online Enquiry